Facebook Timeline for Pages
Posted on March 05, 2012 by Tracy Anderson - Leave a comment
Facebook Page admins may have noticed that the Timeline will be rolled to Pages at the end of March.
You can currently preview (or make live) the Timeline on your business Page. One of the biggest changes will be the way your page applications (and custom landing tabs) work – as well as the cover image.
- Custom landing tabs will no longer exist. You will not be able to choose a landing tab for your Page visitors to land on. Instead, all traffic will land on the main Timeline.
- Tabs will now be called “Application Pages”. There will only be a space for 3 application pages to be featured, underneath your cover image. The rest of your application pages will be listed in a drop-down. If you are running a competition, you will be able to make that application page one of the three featured tabs.
- Pinned posts. You will be able to pin a post to the top of your timeline. This will be useful for promoting an application page that you want people to visit e.g. a competition.
- Cover photos. This is the large banner-style photo at the top of your Page. The cover photos can be used creatively to represent your brand or business, but there are some limitations to its use.
- Include price or purchase information e.g. “25% off” or “Buy now on our website”
- Include contact information such as your web address or email
- Include calls to action like “Download Now”
- Prompt people to use Facebook interface elements such as “Like” or “Share”.
You can, however:
- Announce a campaign or a competition you are running on an application page.
More information on cover photos can be found on the Facebook Help Pages
Facebook’s Help Pages also cover a wealth of other information about the new timeline. Take some time to read it and understand the implications for your Page.